All History & Heritage

Travel back in time to Romans, knights, Jacobites and reivers. Gaze at century-old abbeys standing tall in the vast landscape, uncover the mysteries of the Templars, and trace Scottish culture to the places that shaped it. It’s better felt than telt.


Melrose Abbey - Melrose

Visitor Attractions

The abbey grounds and museum are now open and we are delighted to welcome you back.


Rosslyn Chapel - Roslin

Visitor Attractions

Rosslyn Chapel was founded in 1446 but more recently it came to worldwide prominence through featuring in The da Vinci Code!


Jedburgh Abbey - Jedburgh

Visitor Attractions

The grounds and shop are now open (the rest of the abbey remains closed).


Dryburgh Abbey - St Boswells

Visitor Attractions

The grounds are now open and free of charge. The abbey remains closed for now.


Church of our Lady and St Andrew - Galashiels

History & Heritage

This Church is probably the finest decorative Victorian church in the Scottish Borders


Hutton's Unconformity Sculpture - Jedburgh

History & Heritage

A sculpture in honour of geologist James Hutton in the 18th century


St Nicholas Buccleuch Church - Dalkeith

History & Heritage

A Chapel has been on this site since at least 1372.


Kirk Yetholm - Kelso

History & Heritage

Built of black whinstone, its dark exterior belies its light and airy interior. A local gypsy turned schoolmaster gave its beautiful east windows


The Whithorn Trust - Newton Stewart

Visitor Attractions

Whithorn is where the earliest evidence of Christianity has been found in Scotland c.450AD. See 2000 years of history at our exhibition, Roundhouse and Museum.


The Waterloo Monument - Ancrum

History & Heritage

Park at Harestanes Visitor Centre and follow the Peniel Heugh walk to reach the Monument


125 Memorial: Cove - Cove

History & Heritage

One of four memorials commemorating the 189 Berwickshire fishermen who died in the fishing disaster of 1881.


Bishop's Palace - Stow

History & Heritage

An excavation in 1984 uncovered the layout of a 17th century building, which was altered on at least two occasions


Anwoth Old Kirk - Gatehouse of Fleet

History & Heritage

Anwoth Old Kirk is an early 17th Century Presbyterian Church.


125 Memorial: Burnmouth - Burnmouth

History & Heritage

One of four memorials commemorating the 189 Berwickshire fishermen who died in the fishing disaster of 1881.


Sweetheart Abbey - Dumfries

History & Heritage

This site is currently closed.


The Thomson Monument - Kelso

History & Heritage

On a hill south west of Ednam stands a monument to James Thomson, who was born in in Ednam in 1700, the son of Ednam’…


The Memorial - Eyemouth

History & Heritage

The Memorial is dedicated to the fishermen lost in the Great Disaster.


Willie Spears Statue - Eyemouth

History & Heritage

This bronze figure commemorates William Spears, a local fisherman who led a revolt against the tithes levied on fish by the Church of Scotland.


Mercat cross - Duns

History & Heritage

The markets of Duns were held weekly on a Wednesday. The cross was taken down to make way for the Town House


Napoleonic Monument - Penicuik

History & Heritage

Impressive memorial to 309 French Napoleonic POWs who died in Valleyfield Paper Mill prison 1811-1814 and buried nearby


Old Parish and St Paul’s Church - Galashiels

History & Heritage

This impressive church building held its first service in November 1881


Ashkirk Aisle - Selkirk

History & Heritage

Ancient kirk site and famous Will Ogilvie's Family Aisle


Newcastleton Village Hall - Newcastleton

History & Heritage

Newcastleton Village Hall.


Devil's Beeftub - Moffat

History & Heritage

The Devil's Beeftub is an historic physical landscape feature which nestles in the Moffat hills.


The Crichton Grounds and Gardens - Dumfries

Parks & Gardens

The Crichton is an 85 acre parkland estate in Dumfries with beautifully maintained grounds, gardens and arboretum. Free access and parking.


Neilson’s Monument - Barstobrick Hill

History & Heritage

Neilson's Monument stands at the summit of Barstobrick Hill, 2 miles north of Ringford. It is dedicated to the Scottish inventor James Beaumont Neilson.


Ogilvie Cairn - Hawick

History & Heritage

Commemorative Cairn in Harden Glen


Hizzy Cairn - Hawick

History & Heritage

The Hizzy Cairn pays tribute to this British Superbike Champion and marks the nearest spot to where the helicopter he was flying crashed on 30th…


The Pend, Whithorn - Whithorn

History & Heritage

Once the gatehouse to the monastery, the Pend is the arched building which leads to the sacred precincts of the Priory.


Auld Kirk - Selkirk

History & Heritage

There has been a church on this site since 1152 AD