Jedburgh lies on the Jed Water, a tributary of the River Teviot. It lies approximately 48 miles from Edinburgh and it is one of the larger towns in the Borders. Many people come from afar to visit the ruins of Jedburgh Abbey which was rounded in the early 12th century but became ruined during wars with England in the 16th century. It is now open to the public and many of the more important finds from excavations are displayed on site in the modern visitor centre attached to the Abbey ruins. It is still considered one of the finest late Norman buildings remaining in Scotland. Mary Queen of Scots was a resident of the town for a period and the building in which she resided is now a museum.The town was once a valuable market town with horse, cattle, corn and butchers markets operating. This had much to do with its good trading position between Scotland and England.
Rugby is widely popular throughout the Scottish Borders and Jedburgh is home to one of the most famous and oldest Rugby Clubs in Scotland, Jed-Forest. Many professional Rugby players for Scotland have come out of Jedburgh including Roy and Greig Laidlaw. Jedburgh also has a golf club dating from 1892, the course was extended to 18 holes in recent years.