Whithorn Priory Ruins
About Whithorn Priory Ruins
Whithorn Priory ruins are the remains of one of the most important pilgrimage sites in Scotland. The site has been settled from the 5th Century and it is likely that churches have been on this hilltop for 1600 years, making this the earliest site in Scotland from which we have evidence for Christian practice and worship. By 1500, this had become a major centre for pilgrimage, patronised by the Kings and Queens of the House of Stuart, and was at the centre of mediaeval power politics. The ruined nave shows signs of former glory – a Romanesque 12th Century doorway is finely sculpted with chevron markings. The cathedral grew in size over time to accommodate the large numbers of pilgrims seeking miracles and forgiveness. To get into the crypts below where pilgrims once thronged to touch the bones of St Ninian, purchase a ticket from the Priory Museum or the Whithorn Trust.
Due to Coronavirus, please check directly with businesses for changes to opening times. Pre-booking may be necessary