The village of Stow, sometimes referred to as Stow of Wedale, is located in the Scottish Borders close to the larger town of Galashiels. The name Stow is an Old English word, meaning 'holy place' or 'meeting place’ The village, like many others in the area was also an important area for the textile trade during the 19th centuries.
Religion has always been present in stow with records of a church dating back to the 7th century,. The earliest example still visible today was built in the late 15th century on the site of the Church of St Mary which was consecrated on 3 November 1242. The church used today, St Mary of Wedale.