About Stow Packhorse Bridge
The pack-horse bridge in Stow was constructed by public subscription around 1654-5 with a low parapet to allow burdened horses to cross in safety. Since it was the lowest bridging point on the Gala Water/Tweed river complex it was this bridge which gave Stow its early prosperity. The bridge was restored by Scottish Borders Council in 2002.
The bridge has three arches, the smaller two of which were positioned to carry travellers over flood points. The pointed edge on the largest pier cut the flow of the Gala Water further reducing the flooding risk.
The construction of the bridge had originally been discussed by the village heritors as early as 1630 but problems had arisen in finding the right stone for the work. Eventually the heritors agreed that stone could be taken from one of the internal wall in the church.
The bridge is probably situated near to the site of the six Stow witch executions of 1649.