Old Parish School and Schoolhouse

There are several examples of fine old buildings in High Street including the Old Parish school and schoolhouse on the corner of Armatage street. Built in 1819 they were designed by Alexander Gilkie who also built the Auld kirk.

About Old Parish School and Schoolhouse

At the end of High Street and the start of Market Place is a splendid example of art deco architecture which shows just how diverse the architecture of he town is. In the front of the building is a statue of Willie Spears.

High Street leads into Market Place. Notice the marriage lintel which is dated 1735 above the door of Number 4. Above one of the windows of number 2 is a plaque commemorating the fact that on 19th May 1787 Robert Burns was made a Royal Arch Mason in this building. The entrance to lodge St Ebbe is in Masons Wynd

More like Old Parish School and Schoolhouse