About Old Parish Church
After the Reformation, the west of the Abbey continued to be used as Kelso’s parish church until the late 18th century. However, when debris started to fall from the ceiling, it was decided a new church was needed and local architect James Nisbet was asked to design it. The new church, opened in 1773, was of a very unusual design, octagonal in shape with, obviously, no east end for an altar – very Presbyterian! It still functions today as Kelso's Old Parish Church, while its acoustics also make it a good venue for concerts.