About Mercat Cross
The Mercat Cross was the traditional symbol of a Scottish village or town’s trading status. A cross has occupied this site since 1599. The cross originally stood on a circular base with a flight of steps and a projecting balcony. It was removed in 1820 and returned some time later in its present form. Restored again in 1887 a section of the original shaft can be seen in Old Gala House.