Kirkwynd Bridge and Former Fire Station

Cross the Slitrig Water via the Kirkwynd Bridge that connects the Burgh extension with the older part of Hawick

About Kirkwynd Bridge and Former Fire Station

This sandstone bridge with a single arch was built in I864 and replaced a wooden footbridge. lt neatly joins the Burgh extension and the older part of Hawick.
On the left is the area called ‘The Village' and on the right is Slitrig Bank with its imposing three-storey block of early l9th Century flats facing the Slitrig Water and beyond them is the former fire station.
The fire service for Hawick, using horse-drawn tenders. was provided from this building. Records show a fire engine was purchased for the town in l809. The arched entrance - with a roundel window above is now blocked up, but still visible. The fire station moved to Commercial Road in 1910, and then to its current location at Wilton Hill in the I970s.

More like Kirkwynd Bridge and Former Fire Station