Jedburgh War Memorial
About Jedburgh War Memorial
Stroll along the raised walk, called ‘The Ramparts’, towards the War Memorial.
When French troops reinforced the Scots who were defending Jedburgh in 1548, from the English army, their commander General D’Esse constructed gun platforms on the eastern side of the Abbey to afford it some protection. It is from these gun platforms that this raised area takes its name.
Once a year during the summer, this is the centre of festivities when crowds gather during the Jethart Callant’s Festival, to see the town’s principal -the Callant -receive the Jethart flag. He then carries the flag with him on horseback during Festival Day. At the end of Festival Day, respect is paid at the War Memorial to all those who lost their lives in armed conflict.
Looking towards the Jed Water, the large grassed area was once the site of the North British Rayon Mills