About Gatehouse of Fleet
Gatehouse of Fleet is a scenic town which has existed since the mid-18th century. However, settlement in the area dates back much further. The town takes its name from its location near the mouth of the Water of Fleet. It area also held the role as the "Gait House" or toll booth, on the late 18th century stagecoach route from Dumfries to Stranraer.
Much of its development was due to the entrepreneur James Murray's decision to build his summer home, Cally House, here in 1763. Now the Cally Palace Hotel, the original building was designed by Robert Mylne and built in 1763. The town then became a thriving industrial centre with cotton mills, shipbuilding, a brewery and its own port, in the late 18th and early 19th century. It was known locally as the 'Glasgow of the South'. Cally House was also used to house and school for evacuees from Glasgow during the Second World War.
The town is popular with visitors and provides opportunities for a variety of sporting activities, including golf, walking, cycling, fishing and sailing. There are also several shops and a variety of places to eat out. Gatehouse of Fleet is also a recognised UNESCO Biosphere community.
Gatehouse of Fleet walking, cycling and driving routes
Getting to Gatehouse of Fleet
DG7 2HP