About Garlieston Village
Garlieston is planned 18th Century village, created by the 7th Earl of Galloway. Originally a fishing-station, it became a bustling port, with a rope walk and boatbuilding. Now there are some lobster boats and leisure craft. Its elegant curving terraces date from the late 18th Century. Dividing north and south Crescents is the mill wheel, dating to the 19th Century, though the mill is now gone. In 1876 the railway was extended to service the maritime industries and the port. The village became the centre for D-Day planning as a trial site for the Mulberry Harbours. Remains of this wartime event, to be found around the north side of the bay are of national importance.