About Cloth Hall
The Hall or Cloth Hall was constructed in response to the increase in the quantity and
quality of cloth being produced by the textile mills. It was a centre for the trade of
cloth. It opened for business in 1792 and was an instant success. Without this
building, trade from Gala would not have been as prosperous in subsequent years.