About Christ Church
Mr Hay of Duns Castle erected this Scottish Episcopal Church in 1857 to a design based upon a Romanesque style church which he had seen on the banks of the Rhine whilst on a sketching holiday. As well as being an amateur artist and architect, Mr Hay was the patron of the famous professional architect James Gillespie Graham. The slated roof has bands of fish scale slates, the windows and door have simple round-headed arches. The interior continues the Romanesque theme and has some fine decoration although glazing has now enclosed the choir loft.