The village of Carlops, situated in the Pentland Hills, dates back to 1788 when it was founded to be a mining and cotton weaving settlement. The name derives from the Scots “Carlins Lowp” meaning the Witches Leap. This is due to two exposed rock faces that are about 20m in height and 20m distance from each other. Old stories of the area detailed how witches used to leap between the gap for fun.
A main feature of the village is the Allan Ramsay Hotel and Restauraunt which dates back to 1792 and still has manu 18th century characteristics. The hotel host a festival to mark the anniversary of the famous Scottish poets Birth, which will be 333 years in 2019.