The small village of Broughton in the Scottish Borders Broughton sits near to the Biggar Water, near where it flows into the River Tweed 24 miles south of Edinburgh. There are only 139 houses and the area is spilt up into two parts; the older area known as The Village and the newer part lying around half a mile south of this at the Broughton Burn.
The Village is a double line of cottages, mostly in local stone, built by James Dickson, laird in the 1750’s. North of the village an avenue of trees leads from the main road to Broughton Place, which looks like an old Border castle but was designed in 1938 by the architect Sir Basil Spence. There are art and crafts exhibitions in the house throughout the year.
The village is best known as the one-time home of novelist John Buchan and also the Broughton Brewery. The brewery was founded in 1979 by David Younger and James Collins in a former sheep station, and is Scotland's original independent microbrewery. They produces a range lagers, ales, stouts and speciality beers.