Walking Route



The history of the Royal Burgh dates back many centuries. Around AD830, Bishop Ecgred of Lindisfarne formed two settlements on the Jed Water, calling them both by the same name.

The oldest written form of this name is Gedwearde - meaning “the enclosed settlement by the River Jed” - which dates from around 1050. By the mid 16th century, the name ‘Jedworth’ was being used, even today locally the town is referred to as ‘Jeddart’.

Situated close to the National Border between Scotland and England, the town saw more than its fair share of turmoil. During the Wars of Independence in the 13th and 14th centuries, the English captured Jedburgh on numerous occasions. The town and Abbey were burned three times in the 15th century by the English, providing evidence of the strategic value of the town. The 16th century was no less troublesome and several attempts were made to restore order to the area. The English attacked and captured the town in 1544 as part of the “Rough Wooing” and a year later, the Earl of Hertford invaded Scotland on the orders of Henry VIII of England and laid waste to vast tracts of southern Scotland.

The Union of the Crowns in 1603 ended cross-Border warfare and brought about an increase in trade. In 1707, the Union of the Parliaments had further ramifications for trade between the two countries. The ‘Treaty of Union’ was supposed to be to the equal benefit of both Kingdoms but punitive taxes on traditional Scottish goods saw a decline in industries such as tanning and malting, particularly in Jedburgh. Thus many people left the Border towns to find work elsewhere.

By 1741, the town was in a state of poverty and financial assistance had to be sought. Jedburgh, unlike some Border towns, was not subject to expansion as a result of the industrial revolution and early attempts to introduce woollen manufacture in the 18th century were unsuccessful. By the early 19th century however, the recovery from the Union began at last.
Today, the town retains largely the same plan as it had centuries ago, comprising the High Street and Castlegate with closes and tofts running at right angles to these main streets, similar to the Royal Mile in Edinburgh.
Jedburgh lies on the A68 from Edinburgh. The quiet nature and great beauty of the town and its Abbey make it an essential stop for tourists from all over the world. The sight of the Abbey as you approach from the south gives a real sense of the history of the town you are entering.

Please allow at least 44 minutes to complete it, excluding the time taken to enjoy the destinations along the way.

For more walks around Jedburgh, download the booklet at

2mi / 3.5km
Total climb:
295ft / 90m
Total descent:
295ft / 90m
Our best efforts have been made to ensure the accuracy of data, however the data and geographic information contained along route lines and on maps should be used for informational purposes only.

What you'll see

Public Hall - Jedburgh


The Public Hall was designed in 1900 by the architect J. P. Alison

War Memorial - Jedburgh

Monuments & Statues

War Memorial to all those who lost their lives in armed conflict

Jedburgh Abbey - Jedburgh

Visitor Attractions

There is no known building on this site until the 11th or 12th century. A priory was founded by King David I (1124-53) in 1138.…

Abbey Place - Jedburgh


Where the Jedburgh cattle market was once held

Newgate - Jedburgh


This is a harled building with an archway and a tall spire

Marketplace - Jedburgh


A Mercat Cross once stood here, its position marked by a plaque set in the middle of the road. Also situated here is the Jubilee…

Canongate - Jedburgh


This was the main entrance to the town, leading from the Canongate Bridge. At the end of the bridge would have been the Canongate Port,…

Sheriff Court - Jedburgh


Originally the site of the Council House, it's now the Jedburgh Sheriff Court. Next door is the town's Police Station

Abbey Close - Jedburgh


Learn about the history of the house 'Wren's Nest' and other famous residents on the close

Castlegate - Jedburgh


Houses mostly date from the 19th century, except one from the 17th Century

Branxholme Castle - Hawick

Castles & Stately Homes

The ancient stronghold of the Scotts of Buccleuch which stands on a high bank above the Teviot begun its life as a Border pele-tower.

Castlegate and Glenbank Hotel - Jedburgh


More interesting buildings on your walk back down

Jedburgh Public Library - Jedburgh


This building replaced the 1884 public library on High Street using the designs of George Washington Browne

Prince Charlie's House - Jedburgh


During the 1745 attempt to restore the Stuart Monarchy, Bonnie Prince Charlie is said to have stayed in this house on 6 and 7 November

Exchange Street - Jedburgh


This is one of the four original streets of the Burgh which lead directly to Market Place

High Street - Jedburgh


History of the High Street

Loupin' - on stane - Jedburgh


‘Loupin’- on stane’, used as a step-up to allow riders to mount their horses

Jedburgh Friary/Greyfriars Garden - Jedburgh

Religious Buildings

Even though nothing remains standing above ground, what remains is still the most extensive Franciscan Friary to be seen in Scotland

Former Trinity Church - Jedburgh

Religious Buildings

The present building was constructed in 1818 but is no longer in use of a church

Mary Queen of Scots' House - Jedburgh

Museums & Exhibitions

Mary Queen of Scots’ Visitor Centre is set in the centre of historic Jedburgh and this 16th century tower house tells the story of Scotland’s…

Piper's House - Jedburgh


Piper’s House dates from 1604 although it was remodelled in 1896.

Canongate Bridge - Jedburgh


Built in the 16th century, this is an attractive three-arched bridge. Now used only as a footbridge, this was at one time the principal route…