Dundee House

Buildings, Historic Buildings, Monuments & Statues
In Harbour Road is an 18th-century pantile roofed house called Dundee House.
share

About Dundee House

This was the home of the Willis family who built the tea clipper “Cutty Sark” in 1869 their son John became the ship's captain although he did not live in the house.

Opposite is the coastal marine boat builders Ltd. A Boatyard has been operating in Eyemouth since at least 1800 when it was located above the rise of the beach then it outgrew that site it was moved to its present location at Brownsbank over the Eye Water. In 1867 the firm became known as “James Weatherhead” and was very highly esteemed.

“The local boatyard became famous for the good work produced; indeed the fishermen used to say with regard to their boats so great was their confidence in Mr Weatherhead’s workmanship: ‘Wun’Cudna’Blaw, nor sea rin tae dae them harm’

The boatyard still manufactures and repairs boats including maintaining RLNI Lifeboats. When the doors of the workshop are open it is possible to see boats being worked on inside

Outside the boatyard sits ‘Bertha’ one of the oldest steam driven watercraft in the country This boat was built in the 1840s at Isambard Kingdom Brunell’s works at Bristol for use in the Bridgewater Canal. There are plans to restore Bertha to her former glory as part of a collection of vessels that are now kept in Eyemouth

More like Dundee House