Travel back in time to Romans, knights, Jacobites and reivers. Gaze at century-old abbeys standing tall in the vast landscape, uncover the mysteries of the Templars, and trace Scottish culture to the places that shaped it. It’s better felt than telt.
Dalkeith Watch Tower was built in 1827 to shelter watchmen looking out for grave robbers who stole bodies to sell to the School of Anatomy.
Anwoth Old Kirk is an early 17th Century Presbyterian Church.
The central feature to the Square (which was the site of the Corn Mill) is the fountain and the mill lade
The buildings along Horsemarket are good examples of early 19th century architecture
The town’s war memorial list the names of the town’s war dead in both the Great War and World War 2
The railway which once brought visitors and commerce to Melrose, was removed at the end of the 1960s
Commissioned by the Earl of Dalhousie and built in 1820, this church replaced the 12th century one which now lies in ruins a mile to…
Three bridges have stood here, built respectively in 1802, 1901, and 1977.
Closed due to COVID-19. Visit an ancient holy site associated with miracles and the grave of a saint.
One of four memorials commemorating the 189 Berwickshire fishermen who died in the fishing disaster of 1881.
The Town House was duly built on the site in 1753
This Scottish Episcopal Church in 1857 to a design based upon a Romanesque style church
The Motte -the large mound of earth -dates from the 12th century and was built by the Lovels.
This site is closed while we work hard to make sure our historic attractions can be enjoyed whilst making sure the experience is safe for…
Along the High Street between 48 and 50, which date date from the late 19th century, St Michael's Wynd make its way towards the Cuddy…
This was built in 1840 to take the overflow from St Nicholas Church
Johnnie Armstrong of Gilnockie was one of the most notorious of the Border reivers
The Mercat Cross of Melrose was originally the cross that had been at the entrance to the Abbey precinct at "The Bow"
Great viewpoint. Please be careful on rocks and rising tide
Harden is the home of Lord Polwarth a direct descendant of one of the most famous of the Border reivers, Walter “Auld Wat” Scott of…
A stone marking the end of the Pennine Way in Kirk Yetholm
The Routin' Brig at Kirkpatrick Irongray was the historic crossing point from Kirkcudbrightshire into Dumfriesshire.
Trimontium Museum explores one hundred years of Roman occupation through the stories told by some of the extraordinary finds from this key fort near Melrose.
This little building can be found within the Dalkeith country park ,entry is free and is open all year
Closed due to COVID-19. See a rare example of a tithe barn – a building constructed to store agricultural production tithes given to the Church.
The school is built on the grounds of Abbey Park, the house of Captain Stedman
The library was once Selkirk's Prison
The Glenesk Viaduct spans a deep gorge over the North Esk, at Dalkeith. Opened in 1847, it is one of the earliest major railway bridges…
This was the site of the house of the Gala Estate’s miller.
Kirk Wynd once led to the Old Kirk in the grounds of Thirlestane Castle and the name has remained ever since