St Mary’s Church

History & Heritage
St Mary’s, a church built in the “English University” style for the Duke of Buccleuch in 1843–45

About St Mary’s Church

Just inside the gates of Dalkeith Park stands St Mary’s, a church built in the “English University” style for the Duke of Buccleuch in 1843–45. The remains of this family lie in the crypt.
It also houses Scotland’s only currently working water-powered organ installed by Hamilton & Miller of Edinburgh in 1846.
An attempt by militant Suffragettes to blow up the church in 1913 was thwarted when an estate worker found the explosives. Today it has a more peaceful episcopal congregation.

More like St Mary’s Church