About Dalkeith Palace
In the 12th century a castle was built by the Grahams on this prominent and easily defended site near where the North Esk and the South Esk rivers meet. It was the scene of sieges and royal visits. In the hands of the feared Regent Morton in the 1570s it was turned into a Scottish Renaissance palace, known locally as the Lion’s Den! It was rebuilt in its present form in 1702–11 for Anne, Duchess of Buccleuch, widow of the Duke of Monmouth, (beheaded for his part in the Monmouth Rebellion of 1688). The house is now known as Dalkeith Palace due to a succession of royal visitors including King George IV, Queen Victoria and King Edward VII.
Currently it is occupied by the University of Wisconsin.