History and Heritage

Starts Here
Abbotsford | Melrose

Travel back in time to Romans, knights, Jacobites and reivers. Gaze at century-old abbeys standing tall in the vast landscape, uncover the mysteries of the Templars, and trace Scottish culture to the places that shaped it. It’s better felt than telt.


The Ice House - Dalkeith

History & Heritage

This little building can be found within the Dalkeith country park ,entry is free and is open all year


The Memorial - Eyemouth

History & Heritage

The Memorial is dedicated to the fishermen lost in the Great Disaster


Miners' Rows - Dalkeith

History & Heritage

These single storey brick cottages were built following the completion of the Lady Victoria pit in 1896


Carter Bar - Jedburgh

History & Heritage

Two marker stones to mark the border of Scotland and England


St Mary's School - Melrose

History & Heritage

The school is built on the grounds of Abbey Park, the house of Captain Stedman


Cross Borders Drove Road - Kirknewton

History & Heritage

Steeped in history, the 52 mile Cross Borders Drove Road is a truly fantastic route offering great variety in terms of scenery, surfacing, cultural and…


Market Square - Galashiels

History & Heritage

The Square has had many reincarnations and remodelling through the years


Pennymuir Hall - Jedburgh

History & Heritage

An old Community Hall in the upper Kale Valley


Town Hall - Lauder

History & Heritage

Lauder Town Hall was formerly the town Tolbooth


Halliwell's House Museum - Selkirk

History & Heritage

Halliwell’s House Museum, situated in the narrow, cobbled Halliwell's Close, part of the oldest surviving row of dwellings in Selkirk.


Trimontium Viewpoint - Melrose

History & Heritage

Roman Fort Site


125 Memorial: St Abbs - St Abbs

History & Heritage

One of four memorials commemorating the 189 Berwickshire fishermen who died in the fishing disaster of 1881.


Edin's Hall Broch - Abbey St Bathans

History & Heritage

Visit a rare example of a Lowland broch – a uniquely Scottish fortification, usually found only in the north.


Stow Packhorse Bridge - Galashiels

History & Heritage

The pack-horse bridge in Stow was constructed by public subscription around 1654-5 with a low parapet to allow burdened horses to cross in safety. Walk…


Walk up the River Teviot - Kelso to Roxburgh Castle

History & Heritage

A circular route from Kelso to Roxburgh Castle. Walking on Grassy riverside path with stiles and steps and a disused railway track. Distance: 6 miles/…


Mavisbank House - Loanhead

History & Heritage

Mavisbank is a historic country house outside of the village of Loanhead.


Cousland Smiddy & Heritage Hub - Cousland

History & Heritage

Cousland Smiddy is a 300 year old working blacksmith shop with Heritage Hub & organic gardens


Newbattle Viaduct - Dalkeith

History & Heritage

Opened in 1847, this impressive 23-arch viaduct was built by the North British Railway Company to carry the railway over the River South Esk.


Edrom Church - Edrom

History & Heritage

Visit a true Romanesque relic: an entrance arch of the 1100s, reused as the entrance to a burial vault.


Mungo Park - Selkirk

History & Heritage

Mungo Park, was born four miles from Selkirk and here you'll see a statue of him erected in 1859


War Memorial - Lauder

History & Heritage

Lauder war memorial stands at the crossroads of West High Street and The Loan


Prince Charlie’s House - Jedburgh

History & Heritage

During the 1745 attempt to restore the Stuart Monarchy, Bonnie Prince Charlie is said to have stayed in this house on 6 and 7 November


Dalkeith Palace - Dalkeith

History & Heritage

Dalkeith Palace was built in 1702 on the site of an earlier Castle and until the 1920s was the principal seat of the Montagu Douglas…


Council Offices - Eyemouth

History & Heritage

opposite the Auld Kirk stands an imposing building erected in 1874, now housing the local Council Offices but formerly the Commercial Bank of Scotland


Allanhaugh Tower - Hawick

History & Heritage

Sometimes called Allanmouth Tower from its position high on a bank above the Allan Water not far from its confluence with the Teviot


Cockpen Church - Bonnyrigg

History & Heritage

Commissioned by the Earl of Dalhousie and built in 1820, this church replaced the 12th century one which now lies in ruins a mile to…


Tinkers’ Acre - Duns

History & Heritage

The name derived from the times when travelling people camped here


East Port - Lauder

History & Heritage

The narrowest part of the A68 road from Edinburgh to Newcastle is at the former East Port in Lauder


Burgh Buildings and War Memorial - Galashiels

History & Heritage

This was the site of the house of the Gala Estate’s miller.


Robert Burns Statue - Galashiels

History & Heritage

A bust of Robert Burns which dates from 1912