Travel back in time to Romans, knights, Jacobites and reivers. Gaze at century-old abbeys standing tall in the vast landscape, uncover the mysteries of the Templars, and trace Scottish culture to the places that shaped it. It’s better felt than telt.
A typical 16th Century Border peel tower in a prominent position overlooking the confluence of the Borthwick and the Teviot
Sometimes called Allanmouth Tower from its position high on a bank above the Allan Water not far from its confluence with the Teviot
The Renaissance style red sandstone Victoria Halls, whose foundation stone was laid in 1895 and paid for by public subscription
Marine Parade has a fine example of a modern housing development that retains much of the scale and character of the local area
The pack-horse bridge in Stow was constructed by public subscription around 1654-5 with a low parapet to allow burdened horses to cross in safety. Walk…
The central feature to the Square (which was the site of the Corn Mill) is the fountain and the mill lade
Housed in an historic spa, the permanent exhibition tells the story of St Ronan's Wells, describing their connections with James Hogg and Sir Walter Scott.
The Community Centre was built in 1876 on the site of an earlier Grammar School, attended by a young Sir Walter Scott
Standing in Glenesk Crescent, this was the first house in the area
This handsome building on the east side of Kelso Square was built in 1816 to replace an earlier Town House which had become ruinous
Visit a true Romanesque relic: an entrance arch of the 1100s, reused as the entrance to a burial vault.
Built in 1841 to commemorate Sir Walter Scott, author of the best-selling Waverley novels, who died in 1832.
A red sandstone church, in a peaceful churchyard with a fine view. A notorious confrontation here changed the course of the Church of Scotland
Walk in the footsteps of Roman soldiers on the empire’s main road through the south of Scotland.
A Memorial Statue to Sir Walter Scott.
Dalkeith water tower was built in 1879 and became dis-used shortly after the 2nd world war. It was converted into a private residence in 1989
The ruins of Roxburgh Castle sits near to the joining point of the River Tweed and Teviot.
There has been a Lifeboat Station at Eyemouth since 1876, the first lifeboat being the rowing lifeboat "James and Rachel Grindlay"
opposite the Auld Kirk stands an imposing building erected in 1874, now housing the local Council Offices but formerly the Commercial Bank of Scotland
This Scottish Episcopal Church in 1857 to a design based upon a Romanesque style church
Lauder Town Hall was formerly the town Tolbooth
Built c.1855, in a Jacobean style, is the imposing Sheriff Court
Iconic Hawick Statue
This Church is probably the finest decorative Victorian church in the Scottish Borders
Once was the world's highest bridge
Gothic style church designed and built between 1885-6 by the Edinburgh architect John Starforth
Impressive memorial to 309 French Napoleonic POWs who died in Valleyfield Paper Mill prison 1811-1814 and buried nearby
Trimontium Museum explores one hundred years of Roman occupation through the stories told by some of the extraordinary finds from this key fort near Melrose.
This bronze figure commemorates William Spears, a local fisherman who led a revolt against the tithes levied on fish by the Church of Scotland.
One of four memorials commemorating the 189 Berwickshire fishermen who died in the fishing disaster of 1881.