Last updated: Tuesday, 24 March 2020
Please check below for official UK guidance on COVID-19 (coronavirus) as well as resources for travelling safely within Midlothian and the Scottish Borders. The health and safety of visitors and residents is of paramount importance and we want to share ongoing advice.
- The latest information on COVID-19 can be found on the official UK government website
- Check your plans before you travel, as events and activities may have been postponed or cancelled
- Check directly with venues, businesses and attractions for up to date information on opening times, closures and restrictions
- For travellers already in the UK who need medical advice, use the 111 online service to get further information
Will coronavirus impact my travels to Midlothian and the Scottish Borders?
Yes. On the 23rd of March, UK wide lockdown measures were announced. You should only leave your home for the following purposes:
- Shopping for basic necessities, as infrequently as possible
- One form of exercise a day – for example a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household
- Any medical need, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- Travelling to and from work, but only where this is absolutely necessary and cannot be done from home
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, the UK government has advised against all unnecessary travel. Scotland’s First Minister has issued additional guidance not to travel to or around Scotland at this time. The public should reduce social contacts and practice social distancing. Please stay safe.
As a result, attractions, museums and other businesses in Midlothian and the Scottish Borders will temporarily close. Events have been cancelled or postponed and further changes may follow. Most businesses within the hospitality sector, such as hotels, restaurants, bars and pubs, are changing their offer and opening times in accordance with official guidance on keeping the public safe. Hotels have also been advised to not accept visitors. Please check directly with businesses for the latest information and consider rebooking your trip. Midlothian and the Borders would very much look forward to welcoming you in the future.
Please also check for any disruptions or alterations to public transport networks in the Lothians and the Scottish Borders. Further information is available from ScotRail, Lothian Buses and Borders Buses.
Always make sure you stay up to date with the latest official government advice.
- We must all do our part in preventing the transmission of COVID-19, and it is crucial to follow guidance on preventative measures. Visit the NHS website for information on how to keep yourself and others safe, as well as frequently asked questions.
- Up to date advice for tourism businesses is available through the Scottish Tourism Association (STA) and VisitScotland. MBTAG are also offering support to businesses in Midlothian and the Scottish Borders.
- Visit the official UK government website for the latest information on safety measures, support for businesses and advice for travellers.